This is my life...

My book...

My story...

I will no longer let anyone else write it;

nor will I apologize for the edits I make.

-Steve Maraboli-

7th wheel hell

The whole thing started as a farewell dinner plan. Y'know, for an officemate's last day at work. Then the married people started begging off for one reason or another. So 'twas just us who ended up going, four single people. And their significant others.

So it wasn't just one, not two, but three couples.
Plus one without a date. Me.

We went to one of those wet market/restaurant/free videoke places near the Manila Bay. Dinner was delicious and painful at the same time, but okay still. I could pretend to laugh along with the couples teasing each others' appetite and recent weight gains, while serving each other more food. But when it was time for singing and they started it off with a very sappy Barry Manilow song, and a duet at that, I almost choked. The whole thing was giving me goosebumps. It's going so corny and mushy and I was completely out of place!

I began texting my friends to come pick me up and rescue me from the sticky situation that I (again) got myself into. What's taking them so long???

A little past 11, Bryce came rushing through the doors and said (in his loud voice), "Hey baby, I'm sorry I'm so late!"

Yeah, here came the act. The staged act to save my pathetic pride.

My officemates just gawked at us, unable to speak. I guess he came on too strong, too sudden and too scripted. I couldn't say goodbye fast enough, forgetting to make any introductions. I knew I asked my friends to save me, but their brilliant little plan was proving to be equally embarrassing.

And to embarrass me some more because I apparently wasn't embarrased enough, he added before we left (again in his loud voice), "Why didn't you even kiss me?!"

Waaahh!!! My manwhore was just overdoing it! 'Twas embarrassing!
Did I say I was very embarrassed?

I threw a fit all the way to the car, and when we got in, I threw another fit to Nix and Tabel who were having a grand time at my expense. Bryce very much enjoyed his acting performance too. I was just so glad to be their Friday night entertainment.

I remembered looking at those girls during dinner thinking, "How come they all have it and I don't?" At this age, I should have a functional relationship like that, right?! At least functional enough to be able to take to dinner with me.

Instead, what I have is a manwhore/life coach/physical trainer/good friend/driver that I share with Tabz & Nix. And of course, these same friends who always come to the rescue.

But come to think of it, that isn't too shabby either.

6 comments:

tabel said...

Bwahahahahahahaha you said you needed help! So we came!!!

Yan na ang one of the most unforgettable moments ng buhay mo!

Hahahaha

Kaya, call us anytime, iba naman ang papagawa namin kay Bryan. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Hahahaha!!! Next time, I'll think twice na muna. Hahahaha!!!

Anonymous said...

wahahahaha!!!!!!!!!

galing ni Bryce!!!

pasok na pasok!!! bagay kayo mare...hehehe!

JHIEISMS said...

Di yata... mas maganda pa siya sa akin eh! Hahaha!

Sila ni Tabz, mas bagay! Hahaa! :P

Anonymous said...

bakit... maganda ka naman ha???hehehee :P

popcorn said...

heehee, you must have been mortified!