I was eating dinner an hour ago when suddenly.... I heard this weird sound coming from my electric box. At first I thought it's from the TV, but then my lights started to flicker. I began to panic. Then everything went out.
I hurriedly get dressed in the dark and went outside to check the neighbors, if it happened to them too. They seemed fine.
I was half-expecting for something to explode anytime soon. And so I went running to the guard house.
One of the guards asked me what was wrong. Short of breath, I told him what happened. He called for an electrician and told me to go back to my unit and wait. I didn't want to. The thought of an explosion was still scaring the hell out of me. But I didn't want him to see that I was afraid either, so I turned and pretended to walk away. Very slowly. I needed to catch my breath too.
I reached my building still with no sign of the maintenance guys. No other choice now but to go back to my dark and silent place, the images of halloween pictures I was looking at this morning raced in my head. I shouldn't had looked at those stupid pictures!
I decided to wait by the door.
Finally, they arrived and started fixing the electric box. They noticed that the overhead light by my door was broken as well, and fixed it too. I couldn't be more grateful. One of them taught me how to pull down the main switch, in case of an emergency, and that's when I realized... I didn't even know how to open the electric box. I asked him to teach me that too. Those little things actually matter for real.
As of this writing, my heart was still racing from the experience. That probably made me sound like a spaz, but when my eyes caught the toolbox in the corner, I thought maybe I should start there. Being a woman is no excuse to not learn how to fix a thing or two around the house. And learn, I will.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment